Pages

Friday 29 May 2015

Witcher 3

So I've been playing this for close to a week now and I just have this to say. This is good, really good. 

So Witcher 3 continues the story from Witcher 2 and 1, kinda. I mean, there is an overarching plot but you don't really need to have played the previous games to enjoy or even understand the story. But it does help though. 

Once again, you play the eponymous Witcher; Geralt, who once again has to set off through the land, righting wrongs and killing monsters. And what a journey it is. 

The map area in Witcher 3 is huge. Very large. Not only are there large cities to explore, there are also a lot of miscellaneous quests/objectives that can be found in the wilderness of Witcher-land. I've spent a lot of time just wandering around the area and performing random deeds of kindness and slaughter. 

I have no idea how CD Projeckt did it, but they've managed to make it so that even on the low settings, the game still plays smoothly as well as looks gorgeous. Which is a lot better than Dragon Age Inquisition performed on my laptop. Here's where I'd usually post a screenshot but for some reason, Witcher 3 doesn't quite let me take screenshots. So you'll have to take my word for it. 

In terms of gameplay, not much has changed between Witcher 2-3; or at least it's certainly not as drastic as the change was from Witcher 1-2. If you've liked Witcher 2, you'll probably like Witcher 3. 

One of my main issues with the game would have to be the fact that my equipment seems to need repairs a LOT. It's like 2 fights later with gangs of monsters/bandits and suddenly, my swords need repairs. Those aren't cheap and cost money and it's money I can spend buying other stuff. Like gwent cards. 

Speaking of gwent, that's the new minigame included in Witcher 3. It's a fairly simple game that basically sums up the total strength of the pieces you put on the battlefield and whoever has the higher strength wins. However, the trick is that you only have 10 cards and you have to win 2 rounds at least, so if you play too many cards to win, you'll be out of good pieces in the next round. Plus there are cards that can modify the strength of card types; like infantry, range and siege cards. 

Overall, this is a pretty good game and one that I highly recommend getting. Be warned that it's not for the easily offended though as there is a fair amount of profanity and mature scenes in the game. I'd say more but frankly, that's time I could be using for playing Witcher 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment