Pages

Thursday 13 November 2014

Fantasy Life

A strange mix of DragonQuest, Rune Factory and Animal Crossing.

So what is Fantasy Life about? Well, I was drawn in by some marketing talk about how you can meet people and change job classes from Paladin to Warrior to Mage and so on. Funnily enough, I had a totally different idea of what the game was going to be like from what I heard about it. However, I still stayed to play because it was fun. Light-hearted fun but fun nonetheless.

So in Fantasy Life, you create your own character who starts out in one specific class. This can range from Paladin to Mage to Woodcutter to Miner. Class levels and character levels are very different. Character levels affect your overall stats while class levels are more to give you access to certain special skills for that class. What class you start out as doesn't really matter; although if you want to go out and beat enemies with an axe to face, I don't recommend starting out as a cook. 

From there, you get to explore the wide world and level up your character as you wish. (Hint, multiclass to every single job first, it will save you SO much trouble later on)While there is an overarching storyline, you're not bound by it much except for the fact that certain areas on the worldmap will not open till you have reached a certain chapter in the storyline. Nonetheless, the storyline parts are really easy to breeze past and I've spent 90% of my time in the game just running around and completing quests to try and level up my class levels. (hero level paladin and mercenary here)

If I had to compare this to only ONE game, I guess I would call it Monster Hunter-lite. The very lite. There is a storyline. You have a class that gives you options with certain weapon types. You get to forge your own armor and weapons. Monsters drop item types you need to forge certain armors and weapons. But you can also chop down trees to create furniture for your house...pluck plants to get cotton to sew your own clothes...cook food... Basically, a lot of random things.

The storyline so far seems kind of...average-y. Not to reveal too much, but DOOM is threatening the world and basically, the main player is special, he's the chosen one etc etc etc. And then you go around the world, helping kingdom, saving people and the world. Needless to say, the highlight of this game ISN'T the story. 

The graphics are okay but really nothing to write about. It's about on par with Animal Crossing, give or take. It's still the very cute chibi style that Japan loves so much, with the little bodies and the big heads but it works for the game. 

Overall, I'd say this is a pretty decent game and honestly, I don't regret buying this. Like I said, I had a totally different type of game concept in mind but still enjoyed playing this. So far I've had this for a week and I've played it almost every day, even if it's only 30 minutes at a time. Currently at lvl 48 now thanks to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment