Pages

Wednesday 16 April 2014

DreamForge Games Leviathan Crusader

So I happened to have this kit lying around...And with all the Imperial Knight fervor the last month or so, I decided to try and assemble it. Oh boy...

Okay, what can I say about the kit? It is COMPLEX. It's larger than an Imperial Knight by far, standing at maybe 1-2" taller than the Knights. It's also got a hell lot more pieces. 




That's how many pieces it comes in. It's a HUGE box, with a lot of sprues in it. In fact, I don't think this is a miniature model at all like the Imperial Knight is, or the Colossals from Warmachine. This is a FRIGGING model like Gundam, Macross etc. That's just how many parts there are in the box. 

I'll be honest, it took me a week to build the model in my spare time. That's how complex it was. Much like gundam models, you build the frame of the model before you add on all the armor plates. The figure is very poseable which really just translates into more bits/parts for you to glue together. Or screw together since they do include screws + screwdriver in the box. In all honesty, it can be kind of daunting. 

The plastic however is pretty good but it's not surprising since it comes from Wargames Factory, which also produces the Malifaux models and they're one of the best on the market. I do like the fact that the arms can be detached so you can easily swap parts if need be even if I find the basic design of the arms to be a bit lacking in some ways. It's nice but just not completely to my taste. 
The finished model; as I said before, is huge. Easily the size of a  Perfect Grade Gundam, which is really what I'll compare future kits to. I haven't really painted it because it's pretty daunting to paint.

If there are any complaints I would make about the kit, it would be the sheer number of parts in it. While I understand that is so that it's more poseable, I have to wonder if they didn't perhaps go overboard with trying to make it too poseable. Also, another issue would be the number of pistons/etc on the kit, of which there are several. Those aren't glued down so that they can move with the kit when the model bends it knees/waist etc. I have an issue with those overextending and the pistons, which are really just an outer tube and an inner tube, falling apart and then I have to re-insert the inner tube into the outer tube. That's a bit of a hassle. But overall, this is still an excellent kit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment