Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

GR X-Wing Tournament 25th Aug

So, this has been a long time coming. Or at least 5 days coming.

Yet another monthly tournament, except this time, the pointage has been upped to 100points. This time, I was considering what to bring along, debating between the 3 Firespray list or just having 2 Firesprays. In the end, I went with 2 firesprays

Bounty Hunter 
-Heavy Laser Cannon
-Gunner
-Stealth device
Bounty Hunter
-Heavy Laser Cannon
-Gunner
-Stealth device

So I was planning to shoot people to death and then fly away if possible. 

As usual, there were 3 rounds. Now that the pointage has been upped, we saw quite a few Han shoots first lists as well as TIE fighter spams. 



Round 1
I was paired up against a TIE spam, led by Soontir Fell with Stealth Device. Along with Howlrunner and a lot of Academy Pilots. The game was pretty painstaking and filled with a lot of tense moments. However, I just could NOT get a hit on Soontir Fell who shook off everything I threw at him. Even when I shot him several times with HLC or point blank, followed by gunner. In the end, it came down to my last remaining bounty hunter vs Soontir Fell who was still at full and at least he prevailed. 

Round 2
I was paired against an A-wing spam list (of sorts), filled with all sorts of nasty concussion missiles and Push The Limit, along with a lone X-wing. I managed to kill the X-wing on turn 2 with the HLC spam and then slowly rounded up the A-wings. One of which ended up flying itself off the board.  I ended up playing a pretty long cat and mouse game with the last A-wing who had to die eventually. 

Round 3
Facing off against yet another TIE spam; except this time with interceptors and Howlrunner as well. Interceptors hurt a lot. Swarm tactics also helped their low PS ships shoot me before I could shoot them, which turned out very badly for me.  I ended up losing the first bounty hunter pretty early on, which left me badly outnumbered. In the end, I couldn't shake off the TIE swarm or handle them with only one bounty hunter and the inevitable had to happen. 



Surprisingly, the person who won wasn't someone who used a TIE fighter spam, but someone who was running the YT-1300 as well as an X-Wing. I'm not sure exactly what he was using though. But I'm surprised as I would have expected the Millennium Falcon to die horribly to a TIE spam due to it's 1 agility value. 

Overall, my list has a huge issue with swarms, due to only have 2 ships and hence 2 firing actions per turn. This makes it incredibly hard to me to take down fleets that outnumber me. However, having Heavy Laser cannons with gunners are pretty sweet, but take up a huge amount of pointage. Even more so when you have stealth fields on. 

The best way to deal with swarms seems to be to jam them. Once you can disrupt their formation, you can start shooting them down much more easily. Or at least you'll have less of them shooting you. To this purpose, it might be better to take a few mines along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment