Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

Love, Elections and chocolate. 'What a strange name' was the first thing I thought to myself. But surprisingly, it's a decent enough series and a pretty apt name.


Imagine if there was an anime series about the national elections. Now imagine if some twisted Japanese mind took that idiot and japan-ized it, making most of the candidates female. Now imagine it in high school. That's the basic gist of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate.

The series itself takes a while to get off the ground but by the third episode, it becomes pretty enjoyable. I'll be honest here, I didn't think much of the first episode. In fact, it just screamed generic harem anime to me, which really turned me off and I stopped watching it until it was completed. But turns out I was wrong. Generic harem anime would be Oda Nobuna no Yabou or Koko ni Imouto whatevercraptitle.

Instead, the characters turn out to have a fairly detailed background, unlike generic moeshit anime. Of course, this probably should have been obvious to me when the very first few scenes of the 1st episode involves a student reporter witnessing some bribery going on and then being run over by a car to keep her silent. Yes, that happens in this anime.

A more involved summary of the show would be 'there's this school that holds elections that are over 9000. Due to a certain scandal, the old president can't run for another term and two new candidates are in the running to become the new president. However, the more popular one wants to cut the budget for clubs with little to no use to the school. Due to this, the food research club decides to sponsor their own darkhorse candidate to try and save their club'

Yes, it sounds boring. But trust me, the elections aren't that integral to the story of the anime. They play a part certainly, but more as a device to move the story forward than anything else. 

I don't want to spoil too much because watching the breakdown of some of the characters in the show was perhaps one of the highlights of the show, but I'll say that this anime was strangely entertaining in some ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment