Pages

Sunday 25 March 2012

Freedom of Speech


Recently, I've had a friend talk about how there is no such thing as freedom of speech (in SG) which was probably because of the recent debacle of a local politician suing everyone who mentioned or blogged about an alleged extramarital affair he had until they took down their posts and issued an apology. I won't mention names because frankly, we all know who he is and it's not the main gist of my post anyway. 


This wouldn't be the first time I've blogged about this issue, and it's been brought up again by roughly the same incident as the first time; ie. bloggers getting sued. 


My stance is still the same as it was seven years ago. Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom from consequences. Human beings can say whatever they want; that's the beauty of free will. However, that doesn't mean they're free from the consequences of saying what they want. I have no idea why everyone keeps mistaking the two. 


TL;DR, man up. Either have the guts to stand behind what you wrote or don't write it in the first place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment